Thursday, August 28, 2008

wow, what a difference a week makes

So, where to begin. I told MissKitteh that I had 4 job interviews and got 4 jobs. Well, ok, it was 3. Blah, still. So that's what I've been juggling. Oh, no, if I count the one from before, then yes, that makes 4.

Job #1---the first one that I forgot, interviewed me for an office manager. After my 1st interview, they liked me, brought me back for a 2nd but then in that interview (in front of 4 men) they decided to hire someone else for the office manager position but that they liked me and wanted me to work in their office. Making less money. and driving an extra 20 minutes. YEAH...I turned that one down.

Job #2--The hospice place doing HR work. That would've been fabulous. And in theory, it sounds great. But I cannot work part time. I wanted to work part time to spend time w/ the little dude, but when I looked at the budget it wasn't going to work. It really stunk b/c getting into a big company like that would've been great for advancement. They paid me pretty close to what I make now for a part time job--not bad. So I was bummed about that.

Job #3--An oil company. I still have to tell this co. that I'm not accepting their offer. They wanted to make me salary (i'm hourly at my current job) and well, I'd be doing something different in a new, growing company. I told my current employer and they finagled back and forth to finally match it.

***In the midst of finageling I got a phone call from a school for an interview for a teaching position. this would be Job #4. ****

I would've been teaching Physical Education at a middle school (my dream job, the job I've been working for since I started my Master's Degree). I loved the principal, I loved the vice principal...but, guess what? I'm not already certified as a teacher. Nope, I only have to finish my student teaching. So, beign that I'm not already certified, they can only hire me on as a long-term substitute. Which, they were giving me the job all year long--but I'd only be making 93 dollars a day--not getting paid for time off and you know schools have holiday's, in-service days, etc. And i cannot afford that. There is a way to become certified if the district would approve my first 91 days of employment as my student teaching--BUT THEY WONT' DO IT. My dream job is dangling in front of my face. UGH!I'm so pissed. So, so mad. I sent the vice principal ( who called me on Sunday to give me the job) a thank you card and told her that i cannot take it for just the long term sub.

They needed 2 p.e. teachers!!! 2!! That could be me. I've lost sleep over this. Realy, i have. I dont knwo what to do. I just want to take it anyway and see what happens. But then, I dont' want to put my family in a financial hardship either.

Anyhoos. So my current job matched what the other company was going to pay me, and so here I am. awaiting Janaury when I can finally do my student teaching...and then maybe next school year another p.e. position will be open.

ugh, so that's what i've been goign through this past week. I went out and bought all new gym clothes for my new job, I told everyone, and i was so excited. I'm so let down now. so let down.

2 comments:

PinkPiddyPaws said...

Wow -- I would LOVE to have 4 offers on the table. Your 20 min extra drive is still WAY better than my "move 665 miles to BFE Arkansas". :)

Sorry sweetie..I know how you feel and I'm right there with ya. Well, only it's just me and the kitty and not a kid and hubbie. But hey, the kitty gets tweaked if there are no treats!

Twiddles said...

So is everyone I know online trying to find a job and failing?! Okay, maybe not everyone. But certainly you and kitty and I. The three sad amigos. :(

Well, I will be fervently praying/sending good thoughts to all of us. Hopefully we'll all find something we like sooner rather than later.