Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Holy Bananas

yes, I said Holy Bananas. it's my new thing instead of Holy Hannah. So, well, a freind of mine (fellow soccer chick) told me a mont ago about this try out. Remember I tried out for this team last year? I was tryign to play semi-pro and the girls they picked out...I was less than thrilled with? Anyhooo, so this team is under a new coaching staff, and this friend and fellow teammate/college player of mine told me about the try out (but she left out the date/time). I never thought twice about it because I"m so out of shape that I though it'd be wrong for me to attempt trying out. Even today, I still think that I"m way too out of shape.

So then a second girl asked me to come out. She texted me this past weekend about it. I figured, what the hell. I'm 27, I dont have much time left, so why not give it a shot. So I checked out the teams website, and I see a lot of young players. Like high school. And a few from Ireland and Sweden, etc. But then there's some girls (2) I know and tried out with last year that were decent. I emailed the coach asking him what he was looking for

I wrote:


Hello Coach,
My name is M. I am interested in playing/practicing with your team this Sunday May 6th. A few college players I know told me of the tryout, and I saw it again on your website. I was wondering what type of players you were looking for? Your roster looks very young, but I am still interested in seeing what I can do for the team.
I look forward to hearing from you,
M.

So then I get home last night and got this email!!!:

Hi M,
Thank you for your interest in the team. Right now, yes our roster has alot of younger players but that is because the college players were unable to attend the tryouts during the Spring season because of NCAA regulations. As we start training in the month of May you will see more and more college players return after they have finished their exams. We will have two teams this summer, one that will compete in the Women's Premier Soccer League and one that will compete in the Women's Premier Soccer League Reserve Division. By having two teams allows us to bring in these young players and introduce them to the level of competition and committment required to play at this level.

In your case, i believe you played at (my college) and you were a defender. This is an area that i have a great need in. I am confident of our attacking abilities but it is the defense that worries me. I signed two attacking players from Ireland who have played at the international level and i also signed a player from Sweden who has played in the WPSL before and scored goals at this level. So i am hoping that you can help me ease some of those worries about my defense and claim a spot on the team. I have another player comming in on Sunday who graduated from Old Dominion and she was captain of the Philadelphia team last season. So yes right now we have young players on our roster but over the next month i expect this to change alot.

I hope that i have answered your questions but if you need any more information please get back to me. I look forward to watching you at practice on Sunday.

Take Care,
Head Coach



Holy bananas!!! I'm SO going on Sunday!!! woohooo. After this weekend, man, this sure makes me feel great! and bloody hell, I gotta hit the gym hard!

No comments: